There are many reasons future residents are discovering the charms of the master-planned community of Monterra. One of the first things they notice is its great location, just north and east of Dallas near Rockwall. This means Monterra is only minutes from one of the great recreational lakes in Texas – Lake Ray Hubbard. Plus, it has a resort-style amenity center, a unique pool, excellent hiking and biking trails, and courts for the most popular sport in the world – pickleball.
These are all great benefits and fun to talk about and enjoy. However, one of the most important benefits has to do with the long-term success of some of the most important residents of Monterra – the children.
The Rockwall Independent School District Is Exemplary
Monterra is in Fate, Texas, which is about 5 miles east of downtown Rockwall on Texas State Highway 66. Downtown Royse City is 4 miles to the northeast. Children who live in Monterra will attend the Rockwall Independent School District schools, one of the best in Texas. For the third year in a row, Rockwall ISD received an ‘A’ district accountability rating from the Texas Education Agency.
“Our rating is due to the hard work of our students, teachers, curriculum staff, and campus leadership. While we are proud of the rating, we believe Rockwall ISD, our schools, and our students are more than a letter grade designated by the state. For our children and community, we will continue to focus our efforts on delivering educational excellence in all areas,” said Dr. John Villarreal, Superintendent of Rockwall ISD.
A Leader with Vision
Dr. Villarreal understands what it takes to build an outstanding learning environment for kids, and his peers recognized his leadership this summer.
In a press release, it was announced that Superintendent Dr. John Villarreal had been selected as the recipient of the 2023 Bob Grossman Leadership in School Communications Award by the National School Public Relations Association (NSPRA). The award recognizes one district leader annually for their outstanding leadership in and support of school public relations and communications. It is given in memory of Robert L. Grossman, ASPR, an NSPRA past president who believed that the support and commitment of our top education leaders is vital to successful school communication.
This year, NSPRA received a record number of nominations for district leaders from around the United States.
Since his arrival as superintendent in 2016, Dr. Villarreal’s focus on improved communication with district staff, students, and the community has established an important foundation of trust and authenticity. A proponent of open and transparent communication, he is overseeing the implementation of the district’s newly adopted 2023-2028 strategic plan with five goal areas, one of which is communications and the desire to “partner with our community to enhance the learner experience.” The value he places on communications is further underscored by the role of communication director being a cabinet-level position.
During Dr. Villarreal’s tenure, the district has established a number of strategic communication-focused programs and opportunities to encourage input and feedback from the school community. The following are just a few examples:
- Staff “Lunch’n’ Listen” sessions,
- A Parent Leadership Academy that provides families and parents with an inside look at district planning and programming,
- A Silver Club for senior citizen community members aimed at encouraging engagement and involvement,
- “Howdy Y’all” coffee gatherings are designed to provide parents new to the state with an opportunity to ask questions and learn more about Texas public schools and the district, and
- Monthly “Keeping it Real” meetings with leaders of parent-teacher groups.
The “Beliefs” of the Rockwall school district are encapsulated in the following:
- We believe that collaborative relationships create a culture where learners thrive.
- We believe that an effective learning environment is collaborative, safe, challenging, and responsive to the diverse needs of all students.
- We believe that learning is a partnership that engages all members of our community to empower empathetic and responsible citizens for success beyond themselves.
- We believe that all learners deserve to be challenged in preparation for lifelong learning and future success.
Rockwall High School has an average class size of 600 students and has an exemplary 98% graduation rate. Every school provides a wide range of academic and extracurricular activities, aimed at developing well-rounded kids.
Is a Well-Rounded Education Important to Your Family?
Every parent knows the answer to this question. Of course, it is.
If you would like to see what a great community, based on state-of-the-art design and complemented by a forward-thinking, inclusive, and caring school district can mean, make the short drive to Fate and visit Monterra. Click here to set an appointment. Your kids will thank you later.